Sunday, May 9, 2010

Letters to Juliet...completely worth the read and the watch

After an extended sabbatical from blogging (in particular my movie review), I have decided it's time time a much demanded return. (Not really "demanded," but I have pumped myself up to believe that to be the case.)

Today, for Mother's Day, my mom and I went to see "Letters to Juliet." It was a sneak peak (not scheduled to fully release until May 14) so I feel pretty entertainment savvy in my review. I mean, I'm pretty much ahead of the game and totally in the know. The movie, completely adorable and worth seeing, with your girl friends. Ladies, don't take your man to this movie. It would just be kinda tortuous for them. And, we all know you'd have to pay for it later, in some shape or form. So, grab your closest girl friend(s) and go see this movie. It's a heartwarming story, with of course a happy ending and filled with beautiful scenery.

Let's me paint the scene for you. The main girl character is an aspiring writer, but stuck with doing the grunt work for the newspaper where she works. She and her fiance, the kind of guy we have all dated who has more time for what he's into than for us, go off to Italy for a "pre-wedding honeymoon." Off they go, and then off he goes. She is left alone, in the romantic place on Earth (at least if you ask me). She goes to the Juliet wall, sees a letter a woman wrote 50 years prior detailing her mistake of not meeting her one true love. Sophie writes back, Claire and her grandson show up, and off the three go on a search for the one true love. Along the way, Sophie of course falls in love with the grandson, but the ever-so-absent fiance poses a problem and Sophie leaves Italy without her (what we are led to believe) one true love.

Sophie, simply fabulous. She's sweet, doe-eyed, a true romantic and so adorable. Claire, the woman who wrote the letter Sophie responded to, is stunning, funny and a vulnerable woman searching for her love, but unsure where her path will take her. The grandson brings comedy and humor to this film I didn't expect, nor did I see coming. But it's his comedic presence that puts this movie over the top for me. Starting as a skeptic and ending as a hopeless romantic, he's the guy we all hope to run into on our vacation. Unfortunately, if you're anything like me, you end up being stalked in Hallmark by the 40 year old man who after shopping for 10 minutes said he found what he was looking for because he found his inspiration, which just happened to be me. I never get the great looking, sensitive, smart 30 year old. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

And, all set in the beautiful Italian countryside, which only makes me realize I need to go there even more than I thought.

It's a great movie. And certainly worth going to see. I plan to see it once it hits theaters, and then probably purchase it to watch in line with The Holiday and Under the Tuscan Sun.

I give it 4 pops, most definitely with a Snicker bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment