Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Jon and Kate Plus 8...Minus 2?

I will start by saying, I don't watch Jon and Kate Plus 8. I started to once or twice and it's just not entertaining to me. Kate seems mean, Jon seems like a beat down dog and I always feel bad for the older twins. But, despite my critique the show is widely successful. (Now, see, I would have given two thumbs up to Flavor of Love, but I would have been alone.)

But recently, amidst the hype of the new season, comes the gossip. Jon cheated with a 23 year old school teacher who was seen leaving a bar with. Kate cheated with the bodyguard. They have an open marriage contract. And both spouses, while sort of openly hating each other, deny the allegations brought against them.

Jon says he just has female friends and should have shown better judgment. (In my opinion better judgment would have not leaving the bar with a 23 year old after you were partying it up with some college co-eds and had the death stare from tabloids, but hey, that's just me). Kate says she's just out promoting the show and not cheating with the bodyguard. And really, I don't care what either of them are doing. My question, inspired by my entertainment junkie friend (Thank you Amy for this inspiration), is who is taking care of these kids while the parents are doing god knows what?

These 8 little ones are what the show is really about. Six toddlers and two older siblings who are already competing for their parents attention (at least I would imagine so with a total of 8 kids running around), are now forced to compete with the tabloids for their childhood. If these parents cared half as much about their kids as they did their reputation I think they would realize they need to focus a lot more of their attention on these kids. At the end of the day, they want mommy and daddy kissing their boo-boos, telling them stories at night and tickling them on a Saturday. They don't want fame or fortune or glitz or glam. So before Jon and Kate fall apart and lose their other half and then 8 little ones from their lives (at least half of the time) maybe they should stop and consider what got them here in the first place: 8 little rugrats that call them mom and dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment