Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Say cheese...but then wish you hadn't

So, as I was perusing my daily dose (ok doses) of entertainment news I came across the article that actor Rip Torn was given probation for a drunk driving incident. Now I don't know who Mr. Rip torn is so for those of you who do not either, here's a brief recap to get you caught up.

Rip was born in 1931 and as far as I can tell from imdb, his first acting credit was in 1956. For those of you who are not known math whizzes, that is 53 years ago. I mean, this man has been acting for over half a century. Now, I'm not going to go into all the details of what he's been in, because you can read it yourself, but he's been in some real stuff. We're talking Marie Antoinette the movie, Dodgeball, the Men in Black movies, Will and Grace, 30 Rock, Freddy got Fingered, and A Vision of Murder: The Story of Donielle (appearing on Lifetime and LMN), which in my opinion makes him a bonafide movie star. With that credit he is now in the likes of Meredith Baxter and the esteemed Valerie Bertinelli.

But on to his most recent news. Unfortunately for our friend Rip, he was caught and charged in December with driving while impaired (with a Christmas tree on his car). Now it was December, oh god how I wish it had been last week, but kinda funny nonetheless. I have not gone Christmas tree shopping while impaired, but maybe I will consider a little eggnog fiesta prior to the festivities next year. (Although I'd probably end up with a half crooked bald tree.) Rip has now been approved for an alcohol program despite receiving 2 prior drunk driving charges in New York. You may say to yourself, wow this 78 year old man with a hearing problem and three DUIs really should have his license revoked. But no. The state of CT has allowed him to keep his driver's license. (He will have to retest, however, due to his hearing impairment). Residents of CT, rest easy. Only the most safest of drivers shall be bringing home Christmas trees next holiday season.

But, I find it unfortunate that despite Rip's lucrative (well I'm assuming so) career as an actor and appearing in a plethora of movies he may be most well remembered for his drunk Christmas tree driving and, most noticeably (in my opinion) this lovely mug shot.

Jingle Bell Rock, Rip. Jingle Bell Rock On!



No comments:

Post a Comment