Friday, February 5, 2010

Death Certificates

When Matthew and I were at the beach for our birthday's (December 20 and 23), he broke the news to me of Brittany Murphy's death. I was in shock, couldn't believe, surely he had read it wrong. I seriously was upset for days. I loved her. She was cute and quirky, yet beautiful and talented. In my opinion, she was one of Hollywood's rising starlets. She was like Kate Hudson and Goldie Hawn to me. Just in her category. And, I adored her.

Well, the reports are in and they are reporting that this young beauty "died from pneumonia, with prescription drugs and anemai also playing a role." The saddest thing is they say her death could have prevented had she seen a doctor sooner. An appointment was scheduled for days after death. But, I think when any of us get a cold we don't want to rush to the doctor. We generally try to nurse our way back to health with your typical OTC drugs. Unfortunately, she nursed herself too long without medical attention. They plan to release the names of the prescription drugs that played a role in her death in coming weeks and months. At the end of the day though, I don't care how she did. I'm just sad she did.

Shortly after Brittany's death, socialite Casey Johnson (heirress to the J&J health care products fortune and girlfriend of Tila Tequila) died of a complication from diabetes. Coroners report she died from diabetic ketoacidosis, a life-threatening condition caused by lack of insulin and sky-high blood sugar. Like Murply, they predict Johnson could have possibly been saved had someone checked on her and found her in a diabetic coma within the first 24 hours. But, Tila and Casey were fighting and Casey was alone. I didn't really know who Casey was until reports of her death came through, but still very sad. Another preventable death. Not to mention she leaves behind an adopted daughter, Ava-Monroe.

I know celebs die too, but it always seems surreal when they die young from something not directly drug or alcohol-related. I guess I think they're immune to the same illness that plague the rest of us, but as Casey and Brittany showed us, they are just people, trying to live their lives doing what they do best: entertain the masses.

RIP Brittany and Casey.

No comments:

Post a Comment