Friday, February 12, 2010

New York City!

Matthew and I left Wednesday morning around 11 am, bound for New York City, center of the 2010 blizzard nature was currently blowing our way. I had my doubts of why we were even doing that, but Matthew assured me it was fine. We agreed if it got too bad, he'd stop. (Felt we should get that out of the way rather than arguing about while we were on a 3 foot sheet of snow or ice unable to see in front of us.)

I kept checking the weather dopplar radar on my phone and kept saying "It looks like we're going to hit it soon."

Nothing.

"I think we're going to hit it right around this corner. The sky looks gray."

Nothing.

This went on for about an hour and a half. And, then, we hit DC and found the little hidden treasure of "The Blizzard of 2010." I gotta say, I've never really seen snow so it was unbelieveable. But, the roads really weren't that bad if you stayed on the interstate. We were cruising. I was taking pictures, Matthew was telling me we weren't on a site seeing tour and to stop taking pictures in his face. And then the GPS says to exit. We exit.

The next thing you know, we're in RFK Stadium and the roads down there are NOT good. After we turned around we start trying to find 95 again. Where oh where did you go precious friend? These roads we were on were not roads. They were lanes of snow. But, yes, we pressed on. At one point I start to say "Matthew, I really don't think we should be doing this" when I got the look of "I am nervous about the snow. Don't talk." (I managed to get out Ma- before "the look.")
We found 295, which was not a good substitute. It wasn't twice as good as the two might would lead you to believe. After we were on this road for a while we finally found our long lost friend

who had been so nicely treated with salt and plow trucks. But, as we neared closer to the Big Apple, Baltimore had a different plan for us. The roads were terrible. It was snowing hard and he wind was blowing every which way. At this point, we stopped for the night.

When we check in we find out there's a level 3 warning out which means unless you are an emergency vehicle...off the roads. This even means the plow folks. You know it's bad when you go to dinner and the room is filled with the snow plow folks. Even they were saying how bad it was out there.

The snow ended around 10 pm, we left around 7 am and arrived safe and sound in NYC around 11 am. The roads are clear and there is snow everywhere, which I think is kinda cool. Maybe we were crazy for driving to a blizzard, but that's what we do together. Crazy adventures and great memories. I thought the snow was unbelievable and beautiful and, crazy or not, it was so cool to be in the middle of this big storm. We aren't getting anything like this in NC so this was a once in a lifetime experience.

I'm glad we did it. I'm glad he drove and I took pictures. I'm glad we were together. And, now, I'm glad we're here. Blizzard of 2010 ain't got nothing on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment